September 29, 2008

Medical updates

My middle daughter (3 years old) recently had her now yearly visit with her neurologist. He confirmed a few things for me.

  • Microcephaly. Her head circumference is just under the 2nd percentile for age. Although, it used to not even be on the chart, it was so small, so at least her head is still growing. (The microcephaly is secondary to the loss of brain mass from her prenatal stroke).
  • Cerebral Palsy. Apparently this has been in her charts since October of '06, but no one told me. I suppose they thought someone else had, since it's an obvious diagnosis. It basically means "brain damage at or before birth." Well, at least it makes it easier. It's frustrating explaining the stroke situation and using the words "brain damaged." CP is something most people understand.
  • Developmental Quotient (IQ for little kids) of 75-80; borderline mental handicap.

Really, all things I already knew. But seeing it in black and white, in clinical terms, is a bit upsetting, I have to admit. I cried about it some and then felt guilty. I know many people who have children who severely mentally and physically disabled who would be glad to have their children do so well. I trust God and I'm so very thankful He blessed us with her, but I don't want her to be made fun of because of the way she looks or acts. I have faith and confidence though, I suppose some worrying and fretting is normal.

In my own health news, I won't get too much into it, but I've always had awful periods (very heavy and painful) and then they started coming 17-21 days apart (even though I breastfeed exclusively for 6 months fertility still returns within 3 months of birth). So I said enough is enough and went to see the OB. She ran blood work and we talked a lot and she gave me the option between birth control pills and progesterone pills. I'm so tired of bleeding like a stuck pig every 3 weeks, so I went with the pills. I know the Church says HBC for health issues is okay, but of course I can't find any consistent message on whether or not intercourse is okay while I'm on it (which hasn'tbeen an issue yet, but will be soon, I'm sure). I need to take it for 6 months to try and get my hormones regulated, at which point I'm hoping to go off it and have my periods remain normal. My mother had similar issues and got to the point that she was bleeding heavily for months at a time and even DepoProvera wouldn't stop it, so she had to have a hysterectomy. So, I'm hoping to get it under control now. My first period on the pill should be coming soon, so I'm hoping for some immediate relief!

3 comments:

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I'm sorry for all your having to deal with right now! (((HUGS)))

And, I *totally* understand about knowing the things about your daugther, but it being different about being actually TOLD it.

I'll be praying for you!

Karey said...

Have you thought about NaProTechnology? I don't know if you have a NaPro doctor around you (most people don't) or a person who teaches it (you can check onemoresoul.com), but there's always a way to do it, even if you have to contact PPVI directly. Dr. Hilgers doesn't treat anything with birth control pills and always has a healthier way to do it that treats the underlying disease. And you've probably read about it on my blog, but it's not just for infertility. It's for women's health in general. Just a thought!

I will keep your daughter in my prayers. I know what you mean about feeling guilty - I always try to remember that while I've been dealt some bad things, it could be much worse, but that doesn't mean it's not hard and doesn't hurt.

The Apostolate of Hannah's Tears said...

Hi.

Just wanted to 2nd what All You Who Hope has mentioned.

Also would like to let you know about a ministry called "Be Not Afriad", there is much support for those who suffer difficult pregnency and diagnocis. They may be a great support for you with your daughter, as well as Elizabeth Ministry.

You will be in our prayers.. I do have a friend that has a good NFP Catholic doctor near the University of Notre Dame. Let me know if you would like a name, please contact Hannahs.Tears@gmail.com

God Bless,
Therese, OCDS
www.theapostolateofhannahstears.blogspot.com