May 4, 2009

Garden planning

Spring has really crept up on me! Now that's it's May, I really need to solidify what I want for the veggie garden and get it tilled, fertilized, and planted by the end of the month. Embarrassingly, this will be my 4th year gardening this plot, and I never have fertilized it! I do leave all the plant matter to decay in the garden so I suppose that "fertilizes" it to an extent, but I have a bucket of compost and I need to pick up some manure as well and get that on the garden. So far my lack of fertilizing hasn't hurt my veggies, but I might not be so lucky this year! Actually, my total lack of gardening knowledge in general hasn't seemed to affect my "crops!" Praise God for that one, I suppose. So anyway, this is what I'm thinking of for this year-

  • Zucchini
  • Pickling Cucumbers
  • Tomatoes (globe and cherry)
  • Green Beans
I'm not sure if I want to do anything else or not. I mostly want to can or freeze it all to have through out the year. I might do some lettuce though so I can have some salad! Sadly my soil is way too rocky for carrots, I might have room for some type of berry, though!

No comments: