April 25, 2010

Well, I said a couple posts ago that I had decided to go ahead and homeschool dd2 (who's visually impaired and developmentally disabled) next year.  Then I had the IEP meeting with the school and totally changed my mind (I'm allowed to do that, right?)  They have so many great resources available for her, I think it will be good for her.  We live in a rural area where there are a lot of homeschoolers, so they were supportive and made it clear I could send her as much or as little as I want and still get services.  But the problem is, when you have a child that will need services from so many different people (OT, PT, speech, special ed, instructor for the blind, etc), who are only available certain times, it gets really difficult to set up a say, half and half schedule that gets her everything she needs.  So I felt like it would be easiest to start out sending her full time, and then go from there.  I can always reduce it if she's not tolerating it well.  But, she really loves school and I think that after an adjustment period, she'll do well.  Plus, the Kindergarten is right across from her current developmental Pre-K, so the Kindergarten teacher said she can go over and see her old teacher if she needs to. 

At any rate, the representative for the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired was there. She said that based on their evaluation Riley will need to be a braille reader.  So her IEP for next year includes Braille readiness.  I also asked to have them set up a mobility evaluation to determine if she would benefit from a cane (I think she would).  My long term goal is to have her at the ISBVI full-time, but right now it's an hour and a half away from where we live.  It's not imperative right now, but I'd really like her there by 2nd or 3rd grade.  As great as the people at our local school are, it's not the same as being down at the ISBVI and having all their amazing resources available.

It's a bit of a relief too, because honestly I was already stressing out about juggling everything and having a newborn.  Riley needs so much help and adaptation in her learning that I was worried about being able to handle it all.  It'll be hard for me to send her off, but I think it will be good for her.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Each child, each year, each day if necessary...we make our decisions : )
Blessings & peace, E

Katie said...

I tell ya, I was about ready to march my 8 year old over to the school last week and say "TAKE HER PLEASE!" LOL!

Rightthinker said...

I'm so happy you have some resolve! What a blessing to know your daughter will have the resources to best help her.

I think you have found a wonderful solution to the situation, and as the PP said, it's a child-by-child, step-by-step choice...God equips us only as we need it, and then fully for what we must do!

You take care and God Bless!